With the year winding down, it is important to impress your boss. The surefire way to do that is to work late, but who actually wants to stay late?
Don’t worry my lazy but over achieving friend, here are two tips to make anyone believe you are burning the midnight oil.
Delay the sending of your email:
You can set up a “Rule” to delay messages for whatever time period you need, so you can compose all your messages at 5PM and have them send at a later time. To do that you:
- Open Outlook, click on START, All Programs, Microsoft Office, Outlook.
- Click on TOOLS, Rules & Alerts.
- Click on New Rule “Start from a blank rule”.
- Click in Step 1 box, “Check message after sending”.
- Next, click on “On this machine only”.
- Next, Click in Step 1 box, “Defer delivery by a number of minutes”.
- Click in Step 2 box, “a number of” enter the number of minutes.
- Click on OK, click on Finish.
Call a coworker, with a spoofed caller ID:
Now this is a little trickier, you need to signup for an account at Telespoof. Telespoof, fakes caller ID information allowing anyone to use any phone number to cover your actual caller ID data. When you are signed up, use the website to call a fellow coworker with the caller ID of your main office phone number, making them believe that you are actually at your desk in the office. Do that enough, rumors will begin to circulate how long and hard you are actually working, all when you are sipping Margaritas.
The are some other tips of what you can do in the office to make yourself look busy. These tricks are no substitution for good hard work, but are fun to know anyway.